[Dixielandjazz] High notes in OKOM

Bill Biffle bbiffle at swcp.com
Sat Jan 10 22:51:11 PST 2004

If you mean F or G above high C for Pops, then that's about right.  He
played high, but not Maynard high.  Lot's of high Cs and Ds.  Mostly,
though, he was about playing the right notes, not the high notes.

I read somewhere that, according to his wife, even after he was the most
famous vocalist in the world, he still wanted to be the best trumpet player
in the room.

Reminds me of the old joke, How does one trumpet player greet another?  "Hi,
I'm better than you."

Miles didn't play high.  Pops didn't play high.  You don't play high.  I
don't play high.  Must be something to it.

Bill Biffle

(Come to think of it, I've tried playing while high and it didn't work out
so well.)