[Dixielandjazz] School Band Directors

Len Nielsen lennielsen at telus.net
Sat Jan 10 20:37:30 PST 2004

Good post Russ.

It is obviously a very comprehensive job with many big obstacles and
hopefully a few compensating rewards. I feel that it is asking too much
of someone who is possibly going 1 on 100 with the students to do much
more than teach them the basics of their instruments. It is amazing to
me that they get as good results as they do. Some of the students are
probably in music class just to avoid more difficult academic classes
and may never play again after graduation. The fact that Kymmi is
working both on her trig. and her music gives me the impression that she
will be successful and she will continue on with her music. If the
students are encouraged enough to continue to pursue music then they can
specialize on a one on one basis during private music lessons. Surely
this is a situation where experienced OKOM musicians can put their
talents to good use.

But, for many the love of music and playing a musical instrument will
have started in a school situation and for that reason alone the
instructors should be appreciated.

Len Nielsen

Russ Guarino wrote:

I beg to differ.

Not all folks want to play jazz by ear.  Not all music students have a
passion
for jazz.  Many want to play written music of one kind or another.

Nothing wrong with that.

Junior high & senior high school music teachers are miracle makers.
They take a
bunch of kids, 40% of whom  may be in the band just because it's a place
meet
girls  [or guys] and create fairly credible music.  It is a big, tough,
sometimes thankless job. They have my respect, big time. They work like
dogs,
day and night.  They deal with parents, school administrations, problem
kids,
etc. & etc.  It's like putting on a broadway show every day for a full
school
year.

They are a combination of musician, conductor,  teacher, composer, arranger,
librarian, administrator, counselor, father confessor, policeman, etc. They
must know all the instrumental groups, strings, percussion, brass, reeds and
mallet, in addition to the  technology of music, scales, chords, modes, etc.
Most now also have classes in guitar.

Most band directors are real pros and if they do have a student or
students that
show an interest in jazz, they will be the first to guide them to the right
people for help.

Bottom line, I tried it for a couple of years and finally defaulted to
math. I'd
rather teach trig and calculus all day than run a high  school music
program.

Any time you think kids age age 12 -18 are a cakewalk, volunteer as a
substitute
teacher and take over a band for a couple of days. You will help you
clear  your
mind about how little these teachers know or can teach.

God Bless 'em

Russ Guarino, CLU, ChFC

PS:  Remember you, as an adult, work with experience musicians. You, as a
drummer, don't have to teach anybody how to play  trombone. If they
don't work
out, you just let them go.  A band director has to accept all to his
program is
expected to get results, no matter what the hurdles.