[Dixielandjazz] Re: Bass Cano - possibly an answer!

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Sat Jan 10 16:09:06 PST 2004

Hi all,

I was just at an mid-day gig  in the town of Colma (just south of San
Francisco) at an annual event celebrating the life of Joshua Norton
(Emperor Norton the First) ( go to
<http://www.discordia.org/~keeper/norton.html> or several other
websites for more on that.. an interesting story!)

anyway, one of the people who was there is an expert in early Western
Swing, Jug Bands and "Hill Billy Music" so I asked him if he knew what
a "Bass Cano" is or was.

Not only did he know - he actually SAW one at  The Metropolitan Museum
of Art a few years ago! He said it was a one string instrument about 5
or 6 feet long - basically a big stick of wood with a very simple
tuning peg at each end of the string. It was not displayed well and was
there not much of a descriptive explanation but it was called a Bass
Cano. He remembered it because he asked a curator about the instrument
and they did not have any ready information.

I just went to the Met website to have a look
<http://www.metmuseum.org/collections/department.asp?dep=18>  - it is
not shown but there are a lot of very interesting instruments shown at
that site.

On a slightly related note - while I was doing this web search I
remembered a visit  to a museum of musical instruments in Barcelona -
they had a single bowed string bass instrument called a "Trompa Marina"
  that was from the Medieval time period (there are also 2 and 3 string
versions that are used by Medieval Folk revival groups today.) The
instrument has a long, narrow triangular wooden  body and a neck,
tuning peg and scroll sort of like a modern string bass. I have a
snapshot of the single string one that I could scan if anyone is
interested.

Mystery Solved?

Dave Richoux