[Dixielandjazz] Banjo History -"something substantial"

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Sat Jan 10 16:06:44 PST 2004

Dear Dan et al.,
You wrote "The banjo or banjar or banza (or bonjour if you were French)".
It is hard to understand how the French "bonjour" became a synonym for a
banjo when it literally means "good" (bon) "day" (jour) in French, and is
the customary greeting in France.
  What is the connection between the banjo's fifth (drone) string in
"carrying on an ancient African tradition shared with the bagpipe."
According to "TheOxford Companion to Musical Instruments", the bagpipe is of
European origin, with an extension only to the African Mediterranean
littoral, not to the regions from which slaves were exported.
  Karen Linn, in her book "That Half-Barbaric Twang," says that the American
violinist, Anthony Philip Heinrich (1781-1861), wrote a piano piece entitled
"The Banjo...twenty years before" Gottschalk's composition. There is a
discussion of Gottschalk's "The  Banjo(more accurately, the Banjo I and the
Banjo II, since he produced two quite different variants of the piece") in
the jazz clarinetist/ scholar, Fred Starr's book, "Bamboula.The Life and
Times of Louis Moreau Gottschalk" (Oxford University Press, 1997).
Regards.
Fred.