[Dixielandjazz] Banjo History -"something substantial"

D and R Hardie darnhard at ozemail.com.au
Sat Jan 10 10:36:00 PST 2004

Hi Dan and Hal et al.
  At the risk of introducing a too substantial thread.
The Banjo or banjar or banza  (or bonjour if you were French) appears
to have been an African instrument introduced to America  by the
slaves. The first banjos we know of   had bodies made of gourds with
three or four strings. The modern banjo  was perfected by a white
minstrel performer in  the 1840's. The drone string  was introduced
with the 5 string banjo, carrying on an ancient African  tradition
shared with the bagpipe. The  banjo was introduced to Scotch-Irish
Appalachian music around 1860 where it shared popularity with the
fiddle and after 1880 the guitar.
Early black jazz bands  (1897-1917) did not use the banjo but the
Spanish guitar. White bands were using it by around 1915, perhaps
earlier, and it was introduced to black bands in the recorded era after
1917.
New Orleans composer Louis Moreau Gottschalk, and Anton Dvorak, do
appear to have introduced themes from Creole slave music into their
works, particularly La Calinda and La Bamboula, dances performed in New
Orleans Congo Square. (Brahms was no fool it appears)
  Gottschalk's  piano piece The Banjo (ca 1855) appears to be the
earliest composition to reflect the sound of the instrument then
commonly played by Minstrel performers, though it is clear the earlier
African type instrument was played in the Congo Square when he was a
boy, in the 1840's.
regards
  Dan Hardie

Blatant commercial insert.
More on this thread  in my forthcoming book The Ancestry of Jazz

  Check out the website:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~darnhard/EarlyJazzHistory.html