[Dixielandjazz] Fw: A good reason NOT to be a musician ?

Sam Meerkin/Evelyne Perks smeerkin at melbpc.org.au
Sat Jan 10 14:34:33 PST 2004

Sent to me by a banjo playing friend and forwarded to DJML for your
contemplation, an article on reasons not to be a musician.  Apologies if
this has been on the list before.  It may have escaped me.  I've just been
to the Australian Jazz Convention and played in the 'Washboard Crackers',
that features anything up to 50-60 washboarders depending on the venue that
year.  This highlight (for me, anyway) of the convention has been going for
about 20 years now, and is the launching pad of many an illustrious jazz
career for musos on all instruments.  The washboarders sit at floor level
with anything up to 15 banjos and all sorts of backing instruments on stage
behind.  Active participation in OKOM is the best way to win hearts and
minds.  We all have a ball!  Who needs money ?
Best wishes,
Sam Meerkin.