[Dixielandjazz] What key is that band playing in?

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 9 23:08:51 PST 2004

Hi all,

Pat Cooke wrote:

>     When I'm listening to a band, I sometimes wonder what key they are
>playing in.  Not having perfect pitch, I can usually tell what key a band
>is
>playing in by watching either the bass player's left hand, or sometimes the
>trumpet player's fingers.

I found that an interesting observation. I can usually figure out the key by
watching the guitar/banjo players left hand (assuming he's right handed).
Not that knowing the key is all that important to the casual listener . . .
If I'm in the band (and playing something other than washboard/drums) the
leader usually announces the key.

I'll tell you where that skill comes in handy. It's when I'm at home
watching a band on TV (I love to listen to bluegrass and western songs) and
I want to play my guitar or banjo along with the group).

Resectfully submitted

Bill "Haul it out and twang it" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com