[Dixielandjazz] RE: young jazz players

Alberto Martino tmartino at terra.com.br
Fri Jan 9 18:21:40 PST 2004

Kymmi (a2+b2=c2) Smith stated:

<<<<<What the jazz circuit needs now is a young group that appeals to
both young and old.>>>>

THIS is mature opinion.  :-)
I agree absolutely. That would be the ideal case.

Now: my own Band is almost all "mature"  (ages: banjo 25, tuba 26, drums
50, piano 56, trumpet 48, clarinet *cough* 66) but my friend trumpeter
Joao Missali in his New Orleans Jass Band has an age average of 25
years, (15, 16, 19, 20, 25, 30, 50). It's the only Band here in Brazil
with such young players; and more, they play N.O. Revival style!  (they
recorded for  Big Bill Bissonnette in his Jazz Crusade label).

But the main problem isn't actually the AGE; but the WAY of playing!
My Band (or Barbone Street Jazz Band, age average more than 60) we play
in such a manner to bring to standing applause the YOUNG parcel of our
audiences; but my friend Missali plays a rather stiff music to older
people.

Go figure.

Tito "old boy" Martino
Sao Paulo Brazil