[Dixielandjazz] Black and White Rag, and Eminem.

Don Kirkman donkirk at covad.net
Thu Jan 8 16:14:56 PST 2004

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 14:49:02 -0800, Bob Romans wrote:

>Wally Rose recorded Black and White Rag while in the YBJB. Lu Watters
>insisted to the record producer that it be recorded. Wally told me that
>because of that recording, there were many re-orders of that album. I read
>in a history of Ragtime book, that it was that recording that re-kindled the
>ragtime revolution in the late '30's, early '40's.

Lu used a lot of classical rags* with the band, and Wally Rose soloed or
played with drums behind him on several of them.  Unfortunately I can't
pick those solos out from the liner notes reproduced in the CD
collection of the Good Time Jazz records, but I remember how awed I was
when I heard a recording of Rose's "Pineapple Rag" sometime around 1947
or 1948.  That album of 78s with both Wally Rose and Brun Campbell
playing the "Maple Leaf" is long gone, but my memory remains.

*The Joplin/Scott/Lamb type of (primarily) piano compositions, with
fairly clearly defined structures and chord progressions.  Quite
different from "Tiger Rag" and some other tunes that were called rags.
--
Don
donkirk at covad.net