[Dixielandjazz] Packing Snare and Cymbals

R & V Thompson rvthompson at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 8 15:56:47 PST 2004

Re packing snare and cymbals for air travel, I have never had a problem
with taking the snare on in a Humes and Berg Tuxedo padded bag as
carry-on.  It fits below the seat in front--at least a middle seat,
which is the most spacious, and failing that, the window seat.  (Aisle
seats tend to have less room.)  One can always choose the seat on
Southwest as it has no assigned seating.

I take no cymbal larger than an 18" and find that a couple of such in a
small Humes and Berg Tuxedo padded cymbal bag fit in my case that I
check, surrounded by clothing as cushion.  So my cymbals always go
"packed."  Admittedly I always breathe a sigh of relief when I see that
bag come onto the carousel, because it also contains a couple of stands,
sticks, and toys.

There was a time when one was allowed two carry-ons, so one could also
take a 20" cymbal bag on; but not all airlines permit two now (I can't
remember Southwest's policy on number) and I wouldn't want to chance
it.  I would never check either the snare or the cymbal bag, given how I
have seen baggage handlers "handle" bags.

Sorry to be so late in responding to this topic, but I get the digest
form of the list and only recently got to it.

Bert Thompson