[Dixielandjazz] Re: West Coast Bands

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jan 8 14:02:45 PST 2004

on 8/1/04 1:25 PM, Stephen Barbone at barbonestreet at earthlink.net wrote (in
part):

> PS. Have never heard "Wocka The Fish" so I don't know how you would do
> it with one horn, or two horns. :-)

Dear Steve,
Notwithstanding my Queensland mate Richard Steven's comment, bands of mine
over the years have played "Wocka The Fish" with and without a trumpet.
And with varying instrumentation. My band recorded it in 1973 with c; tb;
cl; as; bj; tu; wb.
It is a march-like roarer perfectly suited to the 'West Coast Revival' style
(as defined earlier by you).
Incidentally, The Frank Johnson Fabulous version of "Wocka The Fish"
mentioned by Richard is on GHB BCD-376 and has just one t (Frank); tb; cl;
p; bj; tu; d.
Sorry to be a nitpicker Richard.    8>)
Wocka was the nickname for the Johnson band tbnist, the late Warwick Dyer
(an old friend of mine). He drank like a fish, as they say. Not an alcoholic
- just liked a drink or three.
Very kind regards,
Bill.