[Dixielandjazz] Re: West Coast Bands

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 7 21:25:38 PST 2004

Well, the originals played that way, but I don't see any need for
everybody to
do it that way. Others may disagree, but as I see it, it is the "Style" that
counts, not the exact duplicate of the band instruments. For example,
the first
"Dixieland" band of any stature was ODJB. Five Pieces. Lots of early bands
copied, but very few do it that way these days.

And Chicago "Style" doesn't mean you have to use a tenor sax.

And the first New Orleans Jazz Bands used guitar and double bass. (Buddy Bolden
etc.) Yet I have people tell me that such a line up is not "Dixieland".

The characterizations get very confusing as the word meanings change. For
example today, "Dixieland" usually means the New Orleans Jazz that "white"
bands play. I don't see it that way because I play Dixieland with both
black and white  musicians all the time.

So IMO if a band is trying to COPY YBJB, yes, it needs the 2 horns. But
if they
are playing in that particular style, they can use any line up they
want. But
banjo, tuba and two beat rhythm are definitely necessities to the style.

That's how I see/hear it and others might not agree.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. Have never heard "Wocka The Fish" so I don't know how you would do
it with
one horn, or two horns. :-)