[Dixielandjazz] Re: Composer of "Cherry"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jan 8 10:56:22 PST 2004

Beware! This email contains discographal/research information which, judging
from some recent comments, may cause offence to a majority of DJMLers.
8>)   Just kidding.
Dear Mike,
I am intrigued by your reference to Ray Gilbert as a co-composer of
"Cherry".
Where did this info come from?
Wasn't Ray Gilbert the man who put words (in the 1940s) to Kid Ory's
"Muskrat Ramble"?
The same lyricist (perhaps) who wrote "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah" for Disney's 1946
'Song Of The South'.
As you know, "Cherry" (with vocal) was first recorded by McKinney's Cotton
Pickers in Chicago on 12 July 1928.
The next version was made in New York for Okeh on 29 Sept 1928 by The Big
Aces (a Dorsey Brothers contingent).
The vocal is taken by McKinney saxophonist George Thomas and the tune was
recorded following a regular Dorsey session. There are 2 issued takes of the
tune according to 'Rust'. (A and C.)
Take A was issued on 78 and LP.
Take C also appeared on English Parlophone R-365 and, allegedly, on IAJRC 2
(an LP). I have checked my IAJRC version against other 78s and LPs and note
that it does not differ in any way.
I have a tape (just transfered it to CD ) of the Parlo 78 (-C) taken from a
copy owned by my mate Tony Baldwin. This IS different, although not
significantly. Minor phrases and notes throughout.
Both takes are supposed to be on a German Village CD VILCD 014. I never seen
this and do not know under whose name it was issued.
So far as I am aware there are no other reissues of "Cherry" by The Big Aces
on CD.
Any comments?
"Cherry" was not recorded again until the late 30s-early 40s with the
following composer credits:
Bob Crosby (Donald Redman) , Erskine Hawkins (Redman), Louis (Redman), Rex
Stewart (Redman-Gilbert), Goodman (Don Redman). I have all these.
So, it seems that lyricist Mr Gilbert had his name added in 1940. To a
non-vocal version!
Why?
Very kind regards,
Bill.