[Dixielandjazz] Yama Yama Man, / Steve Barbone / Don Ingle

Paul Reid whadayesay at webtv.net
Wed Jan 7 12:09:41 PST 2004

Hi all. Briefly back on for about a week. VERY busy with homework etc.
for Cornet Chop Suey. (The group, not the song.) Plus the holidays and
physical stuff. Anyone ever dealt with Grovers Disease? Not life
threatening, just an itchy skin problem I could do without.
ANYWAY..............
Yes, I go along with Yama Yama Man originating in 1908 in the show "The
Three Twins". In the ORIGINAL lyrics. A Yama Yama Man was a stage door
Johnny with certain questionable intentions towards the ladies of the
chorus. A rather suggestive lyric.

And Steve, I just want to say "Hi" I like your postings. Ever since you
championed Monk and his work. I'll always feel a lot of his roots came
from early jazz, and went into artistic extensions. He was like a
modernistic painter who would create a puzzle that was up to the viewer
(or listener) to un-ravel. All Monk's work, as are many modern /
contempory (Poor choice of words.) jazz works, are still based on a
foundational chord progression patterns. If a person can't hear, or
understad the basics, (Pardon the following) they're not gping to hear
anything. And that should be insight enough to re-study Monks' work.

(Have fun with that, gang.)

      Also to Don Ingle. Good CD's. I found them in the mail on
returning from St. Louis.
       Going back to St. Louis on the 15th for recording sessions with
Cornet Chop Suey, and two Festivals, Decatur, Il. and Hannibal, Mo. Back
on Feb 4. Meantime,
I'll be lurking.

Regards to you all,
Paul