[Dixielandjazz] Instrument Positions in Band

Michael Woitowicz banjobarons at nconnect.net
Wed Jan 7 13:29:21 PST 2004

DJML'rs

>From a banjoist's perspective, it would seem that the banjo should behind
the primary melody instruments. It's been my experience that there is close
attention to the chords I play during solos by the other instruments. Thus,
it's important to be heard by the soloist, which is not always the case if
the banjo is in the front line.

With my Dixie Barons quartet, we play in a row. In this case, I always try
and use a monitor, so that the clarinetist can hear the chords.

With my Banjo Barons Ragtime Band, the two banjos are in the front row, and
the bass player is in back to help keep our rhythm steady, as well as
provide the appropriate bottom.

By the way, I just posted some new photos of the Banjo Barons Band on our
website at www.banjobarons.com/photos if you're interested.

I am the banjoist with the tenor (short neck) banjo. The other players are
Jim Kerhin (plectrum banjo) and Dave Martinsek (string bass).

Mike Woitowicz
The Banjo Barons Ragtime Band
www.banjobarons.com

The Dixie Barons Dixieland Band