[Dixielandjazz] washboard position

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Wed Jan 7 13:36:43 PST 2004

Bill, et al:
The premier washboard player was Spike Jones. His washboards were replete
with cymbals, bulb auto horns, triangles and a few other assorted hardware
story appendages. If you listen to the early Jones sides where his was
mainly a Dixieland band sans harp and assorted added sidemen, you can hear
the washboard as a rhythm instrument at its finest.
As a youth watching the band from the wings, I marveled at the rhythm
section of washboard, banjo, piano, full set of drums, and a clar. tenor,
trumpet and trombone front line take on such classics as Jungle Town, Goodby
Tootsie Goodbye, Row Row Row, and other vaudeville tunes and make them
romp along infectiously. Jazz drummer pro arte Wayne Jones said he collected
the Spike Jones stuff not for the hokum but the for the band's ability to
play jazz. He was right. Mr.. Jones was the spark plug that drove the band.
Other groups that used the washboards well -- the Hoosier Hotshots, the Korn
Kobblers, Early Freddie Fisher, and some of the early jazz band similar to
the Mound City Blues Blowers.
My friend and premier punster Mike Schwimmer does justice to the Washerman's
Friend.
Now I plan to be on hand at Logan next June -- definitely set the date - to
see the washboard in the hands of Father Bill and friends in the homeplace
of this unheralded instrument d'jazz. I say unheralded because mention of it
was sadly missing from the Ken Burns series -- casting doubts as to the
thoroughness of research that went into it. Flawed -- seriously flawed.
With respect to the tummy thumpers among us,
Don Ingle