[Dixielandjazz] Re: Turk Murphy band horn-placement

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jan 7 08:32:20 PST 2004

on 6/1/04 11:46 PM, TBW504 at aol.com at TBW504 at aol.com wrote:

> I saw Turk Murphy with Bob Helm at Fort Point (under the Golden Gate Bridge)
> San Francisco in 1977 and they lined up conventionally (and played
> excellently) The vocalist, an African-American, was introduced solely as the
> "Yama Yama Man" - anyone know who he is, or was?
> Brian Wood

Dear Brian,
I suggest that it was Jimmie Stanislaus, an Oakland fireman friend of
Turks'. Their friendship went back to the 1930s when Jimmie had a shoeshine
stand and Turk was washing cars.
This information from an LP I have (bought by me from Turk in SF in 1975 and
signed by him to me).
Merry Makers MMRC-106.
Jimmie sings "Yama Yama Man" on this LP recorded on 11 Aug 1971.
Kind regards,
Bill.