[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 13, Issue 11

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 6 09:41:14 PST 2004

> Dan Augustine <ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu> wrote (polite snip)

> the way Lu Watters did it:
> In _Emperor Norton's Hunch_, John Buchanan says:
>
>          "Unlike Oliver's band, however, the Yerba Buena band made greater
>      use of the fortissimo attack."  "...the power they generated was
>      overwhelming.  Many experienced jazz enthusiasts were of the opinion
>      that Watters played the loudest cornet or trumpet they had ever heard
>      and perhaps the loudest of all time." (p. 74)

I wonder why so many bands today, that claim they play in West Revival style, do not
exhibit the raw power of the Yerba Buena Jazz Band? Or of Turk's band a few years later.
Those of us who heard it live were always astonished at the energy.

>      "The way in which Lu set the band up on the bandstand was also a
>      little unorthodox.  In the front row the banjos were placed on the
>      left, drums in the centre and the piano on the right.  In the back
>      row, one step higher, from left to right we the trombone, then the
>      two trumpets, the clarinet and the tuba to the right behind the piano.
>      After trying many arrangements, Watters found that having the trumpets,
>      clarinet and trombone standing behind the rhythm section enabled the
>      musicians to hear one another better and at the same time allowed
>      the audience a good view of each man." (p. 76)

Well, maybe true, maybe literary license. Very few bands that play relatively close
together on a bandstand ever have a problem hearing each other. Ditto with the view.
Most professionals "hear" each other without going to great lengths to arrange how the
band sets up on a small stage. Though I will admit to playing on the right side, in a
front line on a raised stage where the piano was in front of us, 2 feet lower, on the
dance floor. Drums, Banjo, Tuba were behind and I couldn't hear very much piano. But
that was a really odd set up.

Is there anybody on the list who knew Watters and might give us a yea or nay on the
reason?  Was it Turk's temper? or sound? or did he not like the drummer behind him
pounding in his ear? Or?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone