[Dixielandjazz] Re: Trombone Players

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 5 15:25:44 PST 2004

> Mike D wrote:
>
> On the subject of acerbic responses to nuisances in the audience, there is a
> (possibly apocryphal) story about the blessed Turk Murphy. Assailed with
> repeated requests by a drunk for "Three Little Words", Turk finally snapped
> and said "OK - Go **** Yourself!"  but of course NOBODY would have dared to
> try wrapping Turk's trombone around his head......

Yes, I think that may be why the Turkster started to play at Earthquake's, in San
Francisco, behind the drummer (with the drummer between him and the audience) So that
he would avoid getting into physical trouble with unruly audience members. There were
more than a few such altercations in his playing days.

Ah for the days of wild and woolly hot jazz. Mostly gone these days. There were lots
of other physical manifestations of temperament with some of the greats.

I hear tell that some bands, who have seen pictures of Murphy this way, copy the
positioning slavishly in the thought that there was some musical reason he did this
and so they strive to be "correct'. ;-)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone