[Dixielandjazz] Trombone players

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Mon Jan 5 14:16:19 PST 2004

Yes, indeed, I have n on stage with the wild Dane. I played for a very short
time at the Mon-Vue in the late 50's and got used to his controlled
wildness. He ran the band well, and most of the wildman stuff was for the
audience -- indeed a Don Rickles approach.
I only lasted a few weeks since the union put the thumb on me as the band
was non union, so I was told not to play with them. Wouldn't get a blink
today if that was the same case.
I have a tape made at Don Gibson's in a jam session following the Central
City JAzz Fest I played with the Sons of Bix. As I recall it has Allen, Bill
Pontarelli, Maury Walker and a couple other guys, and we played about an
hour just for the fun of it, and Don ran a tape.
Allen, of course, is the leading expert on Gumperson's Disease.
He is also a very talented architech and built several of the large schools
in Evergreen and other places around Jefferson Co.
A free spirit -- but under it all a very serious jazz player -- when the
inner clown lets him.
Don Ingle