[Dixielandjazz] Trombone players

Edgerton, Paul A paul.edgerton at eds.com
Mon Jan 5 13:08:18 PST 2004

Rebecca Thompson wrote:
> Anyone been on the stage with Allen Fredrickson?  I have only observed
> from the audience, but he can get wild with his trombone.

Yes, he sometimes does. While I haven't seen him in years, I can tell you
that his trombone wasn't the only thing that getting him into trouble. In
his middle years, he had a bitingly sarcastic tongue with which he
occasionally assaulted hecklers, insouciant drunks and those who failed to
properly appreciate his musical gifts.

Here is a story from the Mon-Vue Village days... One fellow, growing weary
of the Don Rickles treatment, approached Alan on a break and wrapped his
trombone slide around his head. Now THAT would have been something to see!