[Dixielandjazz] Disfluencies

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Mon Jan 5 13:13:56 PST 2004

There you go, Bill --dis-sing us. Disfluencies -- the halting, stopping, or
opposition of fluencies - creating an inability to talk in a fluent and
understandable manner. Sort of  like encountering a curvaceous naked lady
when you least expected to and try to carry on a normal conversation at the
moment. (An experience I have yet to have, but am open to learning new
things.)
Seems to be a made up word -- not unusual in the every changing English
language, but then many still think "ain't" ain't in the dictionary -- but
'tis so.
However, have a  caution. Splicing words together doesn't always work.
Consider the common error of saying irregardless. Regardless of good intent,
it's wrong, wrong, wrong.
Fr. Don of the Church of Sts. White and Strunk