[Dixielandjazz] Ogden Nash

PJ Ladd pj.ladd at btopenworld.com
Sun Jan 4 11:04:30 PST 2004

Well, since someone started this thread...

A DRINK WITH SOMETHING IN IT
By Ogden Nash

There is something about a Martini,
A tingle remarkably pleasant>

Hi Ed,
I cannot tell a lie. It was I (or me)

My original point was that the amateur stuff we often get fobbed off with on
the list as `poetry` usually neither rhymes or scans.Those two attributes I
held to be a basic requirement of being `poetry`

Most of those who have taken issue with me and have sent examples of poetry
to prove that it need not do either have failed.
In particular the stuff by Nash. It always rhymes, although sometimes bent a
little for humourous effect, and it always scans, with the same proviso.

I love the invention of `torpidest` to make the line scan in `A Drink with
something in it.

Happy New Year

Pat