[Dixielandjazz] The Case For A New Kind of Popular Music

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Fri Jan 2 15:04:01 PST 2004

As interesting as John Rockwell's NYT article is, I'm not sure where he's
going with it, or what he is promoting. The concept, "A new kind of Popular
Music," implies more musical structure than exists for the old or the new in my
opinion. To me, it's really more like an ongoing blending of familiar influences
and ideas that always produces new songs or albums. But one rule does seem to
emerge in the history of pop music evolution versus bigger musical forms;
i.e., step outside your idiom and risk total failure. The first of the great
popular artists I know of who tried this was Scott Joplin. His legendary ragtime
piano pieces (successfully translated into band arrangements too) made his place
in all musical history. But he wanted to elevate his songs to operatic levels
and actually wrote, according to different biographies, two operas, one of
which remains (Treemonisha). My question upon learning of his obsession to
compose "opera" was simply, why? So many successful popular musicians seem to want
to win the prestige of working in another "higher" art form and it makes me
wonder if they appreciate what they really accomplished in the first place. I
would have advised Mr. Joplin to keep writing better ragtime songs. It was his
unique idiom and he did it so very well.

Dan (piano fingers) Spink