[Dixielandjazz] Hot Antic Jazz band, was Whitley Bay Jazz Festival

Brian Towers towers at allstream.net
Thu Feb 26 11:32:33 PST 2004

Michel,
I am just writing to support your remarks about the Hot Antic Jazz Band, who
have played several times in Toronto.  3 or 4 years ago they joined my band
(Hot Five Jazzmakers) on a Toronto Harbour sunset cruise on the Trillium, an
ancient side-paddleboat.   Some of their main strengths are, in my opinion,
the leadership and Gallic charm of the leader Michel Bastide; the rock solid
anchor of Jean-Pierre Dubois on banjo; the very gifted reed players; the
ability of the players to double on different instruments - Bastide on valve
trombone; Dubois on clarinet; the other reed player on plectrum banjo etc -
they can field three clarinets on "The Mooche";  the gifted pianist Martin
Seck, who is actually German; then there are several excellent vocalists in
the band.    The style of jazz they play, with a strong focus on the
twenties golden age of jazz - the spirit of Clarence Williams; Jabbo Smith
etc, has much to do with their appeal to me too.  Their arrangements are
well done and very tight.  I believe they only play together in the summer
months as most of them have professions outside of music, Michel Bastide,
for example, is a surgeon.  They have a terrific sound and they do it all
without a drummer!!

No, I am not their press agent!  Our two bands are good friends.  They
helped us get into the Marciac Jazz Festival in France in the year 2000 and
we had a wonderful time.

Cheers,
Brian Towers,
Hot Five Jazzmakers,