[Dixielandjazz] Joe Ashworth

Chris Calabrese lists at jazzpiano.com
Mon Feb 23 16:00:55 PST 2004

I am so very shocked and saddened to hear this news. I had just played with
Joe last November at the Mesa Dixieland Festival. He was recovering from
pneumonia (in fact he almost didn't make it to the festival because of it),
but played at his usual amazing level of musicianship. Joe took what he did
very seriously, and always gave 110% every time I had the pleasure of
playing with him.

For anyone that loves Dixieland, especially if you lived in the Southern
California area, you know that Joe was an icon of modern-day traditional
jazz. He was to me, anyway.

~ Chris