[Dixielandjazz] Very interesting article about the history of Mardi Gras in New Orleans- not what you might expect!

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Fri Feb 20 18:58:54 PST 2004

A possible problem with the URL in the last message - don't know why,
but keep on trying - search for  "Errol Laborde" or "REDISCOVERING
MARDI GRAS" if you cannot get there from here...

also, I found an article about my favorite New Orleans musician:
<http://publications.neworleans.com/no_magazine/36.3.13-
PersonaBanu.html>

I  first met Banu Gibson when she was playing on Bourbon Street in
about 1980 or so - I was with a few other West Coast musicians in town
for Jazz Fest and we happened to see her playing with a quartet in a
restaurant - we bugged her with some Hot 5/7 requests and she said
"Y'all are from San Francisco, right? Nobody else asks for those
tunes!"

Dave Richoux