[Dixielandjazz] Need Help finding song

Tom Duncan tduncan at bellatlantic.net
Fri Feb 20 15:19:51 PST 2004

Craig wrote on Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:52:55 -0500
title "XXX New Jersey, Where The Big, Fat Tomatoes Grow"
where XXX was something like "Take Me Back TO"
or "I Want To Go Back TO" or something else??

Due to a severe brain disease, probably brought on by
advancing age, I would like to find this tune. Can someone
tell me the title and if possible, who MIGHT have recorded it?<<<<

I know and play this tune as "Hey Engineer" and can FAX a copy of lead sheet
if you will advise FAX # off list.

Lyrics are:

Hey Engineer, Is this train going south?
South of the Mason Dixon Line.
Hey Engineer, is this train going South?
To the land of the honeysuckle vine.
Hey Engineer, is this train going South?
Back to my old stomping grounds.
Hey Engineer, if this train's going South,
For God's sake turn it around.

and

Why don't they sing about Jersey?
The state where the sun shines all the time.
They always sing about Georgia
And a place called Caroline.
Now the gals from Georgia are peachy.
And those gals from Caroline ain't slow.
But, why don't they sing about Jersey?
Where the big tomatoes grow!
Always gets a big grin and response her in New Jersey and the first and
second verses are repeated as a "partner song".

Does anybody know of other tunes that lend themselves to partner song
treatment?

Regards,

Tom " Garden State" Duncan

Regards,