[Dixielandjazz] My current ASCAP story/question...

willc willc at highstream.net
Thu Feb 19 21:50:45 PST 2004

Dave and all -
You can tell the ASCAP rep you're only playing public domain (not in front of
witnesses and not in writing), but you'd better be sure that PD tunes are all
you DO play. If you get caught by an ASCAP stealth rep playing "Tie a Yellow
Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree" or responding to your sixth request of the
evening for "New York, New York", you and the clubowner could be in expensive
trouble.

Personally, in your position, I wouldn't call ASCAP back and go on record.
You're not a member and you owe them zilch.  I'd be sure my club owner knew we
wouldn't be able to take requests for non PD tunes - even (gasp!) "Happy
Birthday" - if he didn't get the license, but that he'd be free to hire my band
to play anything within our abilities on Saturday and as many of the other six
nights a week as he wanted if he did!

If anyone can suggest some practical alternative to an ASCAP-like organization
to get songwriters - the guys who CREATE the music you play - paid for club
date, concert, festival, banquet and radio/TV/cable use of their music, I'd be
delighted to hear it.  I'd like to earn a hell of a lot more from performance in
such ways and venues of music I've written than I've ever collected from ASCAP
and record royalties!

Kindly,
Will Connelly (ASCAP songwriter)