[Dixielandjazz] My current ASCAP story/question...

Dave Gravatt dave at creolejazz.com
Thu Feb 19 19:47:47 PST 2004

Greetings all. Earlier today I posted a note about the owner of the
restaurant where we play being contacted by ASCAP. Here's the latest on this
story.

The restaurant owner (where we play one night a week) called me today saying
he'd received numerous letters from ASCAP over the last several weeks
(months?) and finally called them back to see what the noise was all about.
The ASCAP rep (in NY) said that a local (Springfield, MO) ASCAP rep had been
in the restaurant and heard our band and, I guess, "reported back" that we
were there. Now they're asking the restaurant for an annual $356 because
we're there. Yeah, I'm sure the restaurant will pay it if necessary, but the
real question, of course, is, "is it really necessary?" The club is already
paying ASCAP for the canned satellite radio that gets piped in, by the way.

So I explained to our restaurant owner that everything we play is pre-1920s
and that it is all public domain and that the restaurant should not have to
pay for the performance of that music. He called the ASCAP rep back and the
rep said she needs to speak to the band leader about this (that's me, of
course). So, before I call her tomorrow, my question for you is, if I
explain that everything we play is MY arrangements of pre-1920s tunes,
should that put an end to this?

Interesting side note: when the owner was talking with the ASCAP rep today,
the rep asked if he knew where ELSE we might be playing.

Any input appreciated. And again, I felt somewhat prepared for all this
after the subject was covered on this list a couple of weeks ago. Thanks.

Dave
The Creole Dixieland Jazz Band
"It's a treat to beat your feet"
417-581-5626