[Dixielandjazz] Norah Jones million record sales week

Kimberly Shaffer Kimberly_Shaffer at pgn.com
Thu Feb 19 09:53:52 PST 2004

Well, I can chip in here and say that my 16 and 17 year old daughters, (and their friends), love Norah Jones, and sing her songs all the time.  I personally think that Britney Spears has a lot to do with it.  Britney was sold on her beauty and performance quality, and her digitally enhanced voice was just part of being a singer.  When you present a younger attractive performer with talent, and with a non digitally enhanced voice that is better than the lowest common denominator, of course it's going to sound excellent compared to others that are on the radio.  I asked my 16 year old what she liked about Norah Jones and she basically said that her songs are pretty and easy to sing along with.

So there you have it.  Plus, her dad was who?!?  Family ties don't hoit!

And as a side note, about three years ago I was watching Christina Aguilera on some awards show picking up something and she broke away from a pop song to sing the beginning of "Stormy Weather".  Pete and I stared at each other during the performance - her voice was amazingly good and we just talked about how great it would be if more women with her talent would move into jazz.  Of course, it doesn't pay as well....

>>> Stephen Barbone <barbonestreet at earthlink.net> 02/19/2004 >>>
> "Bryan Livett" <livett at rogers.com> wrote
>
> She's also a "jazz artist" who has sold out to pop-rock-country to get those
> numbers, (her latest album features Dolly Parton as a guest!)
> http://www.norahjones.com/home.htm

Maybe so, however the regular pop-rock-country folks aren't selling anywhere near
her numbers these days. I think I'm going to try and find out why the audience is so
enamoured of her.

In other words, she may be just an ordinary singer. HOWEVER, what has she got or
done that enabled her to sell more records than anyone else has done in the past two
and a half years? She just topped all categories, Pop, C&W, Jazz, Rap, and every
other category you can name, by a large margin. Question!!!  WHY?/HOW?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. If Dolly Parton is the answer, I'm inviting DP to our next session and CD album.
;-) VBG.