[Dixielandjazz] controlling unwanted offers

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 19 17:07:00 PST 2004

Paul answers the question:

"Will these people (spammers) never stop pestering us?"

He replies:

"Not until something very painful and very public happens to a few of them."

Sorry . . .

The internet is a public forum for the world. To try and stop spam is like
trying to stop the guy on the street corner with a cardboard sign that says
"Homeless, please help."  You can detain panhandlers but the problem won't
go away.

Perhaps it is not a problem after all.  I mean, WE OWN THE DELETE KEY!

Putting up with spam means 1. exercising caution and 2. saying no (by
deleting).

These two caveats are the basic rules of life. We exercise them constantly
in all our daily encounters.

Finally, if some effective means of stopping spammers before they reach your
mailbox is employed I think it would seriously impair our own abilities to
communicate freely with each other around the world.

I will gladly put up with a few unwanted messages which I can easily ignore
so that I can communicate with others without having to run some sort of
legal techno maze.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Ya gotta take the bitter with the sweet" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com