[Dixielandjazz] I just got the ASCAP call.

Dave Gravatt dave at creolejazz.com
Thu Feb 19 11:17:04 PST 2004

A week or so ago we were discussing ASCAP, BMI, etc on this list. Coincidentally, this morning I got a call from the owner of the place where we play on Mondays saying he'd just received a letter from ASCAP asking for their fee for our playing there. I told him to tell them that we're doing all public domain stuff -- music written well before 1923 and there should be no fee involved. He seemed fine with that.

After reading some of the comments posted last week I felt very prepared for this very unexpected situation. Thank you all very much. Should I expect any other response/inquiry/inquisition from ASCAP or will this now go away?

Dave
Dave Gravatt
"It's a treat to beat your feet."
The Creole Dixieland Jazz Band