[Dixielandjazz] Paypal

Edgerton, Paul A paul.edgerton at eds.com
Wed Feb 18 15:07:31 PST 2004

Harry Epp writes:
I had a bad experience with paypal and would never do business with them.

I use PayPal all the time and have been extremely pleased with them. Ditto
for eBay and Amazon.

But...

All of these services depend on user-initiated transactions. They have never
asked me to log in and "verify" information. This is a type of scam called
"social engineering," and as Bob Williams suggested, its aim is convince you
to do something that leaves you vulnerable -- either by giving away
privileged information such as account numbers and passwords, or by tricking
you into running programs that give control of your computer to bad guys.

The simple rule, "never open attachments you weren't expecting -- not even
from people you know," is no longer enough to guarantee you won't be
attacked, but it makes things a lot harder for the bad guys.

Let's be *careful* out there, folks!

Paul Edgerton
who uses circumspection with abandon