[Dixielandjazz] Musical Terms for those without a Music Degree

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Fri Feb 13 16:59:33 PST 2004

Probably been around a couple of times before I got it but too funny to not
post it for any who have not seen it.  Don't know why the lurker didn't post it
unless he is just trying to set me up.

Enjoy,

Tom Wiggins

Musical Terms for Those Without Music Degrees

Obbligato - being forced to practice

Con Moto - yeah baby, I have a car

Allegro - a little car

Metronome - short, city musician who can fit into a Honda Civic

Lento - the days leading up to Easto

Largo - beer brewed in Germany or the Florida Keys

Piu Animato - clean out the cat's litter box

Interval - time to meet the other players at the bar

Perfect Interval - when the drinks are on the house

Cantabile - singing while drunk

Con Spirito - drunk again

Colla Voce - this shirt is so tight I can't sing

Improvisation - what you do when the music falls down

Prelude - warm-up before the clever stuff

Flats - English apartments

Chords - things organists play with one finger

Dischords - things that organists play with two fingers

Suspended Chords - useful for lynching the vocalist

Syncopation - bowel condition brought on by an overdose of jazz

Time Signatures - things for drummers to ignore

Virtuoso - a person who can work wonders with easy-play music

Professional - anyone who can't hold down a steady job

Melody - an ancient, now almost completely extinct art in songwriting