[Dixielandjazz] Mardi Gras Season

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 13 16:20:58 PST 2004

> Joe Hopkins acjspres at aol.com wrote (polite snip)
>
> This is usually one of our best months of the year for gigs. We have 19 gigs
> booked this month so far......9 are with a full dixieland line-up and the
> others are with my quartet. The good news is we have 21 booked for the month of
> March. This year is certainly better than last year or the year before.

Way to go Joe. Yes, business is brisk.

Mardi Gras is a great time of year that we might all promote. Check the below newspaper request, received earlier.. Barbone Street has 3 articles about Mardi Gras going to be published next week. We are  in The Philadelphia Papers, the Wilmington Paper and the West Chester Paper. Below request for a spot in the Weekend Magazine Section in the Wilmington DE newspaper.

To Barbone Street Jazz Band

I am the 55hrs editor at The News Journal in Delaware. We are putting together a Fat Tuesday story and will include the band's performance at Iron Hill. Do you have a hi-res color jpeg of the band that we could use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. etc., etc.

Regards,
Features Editor

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all get some Media attention about Mardi Gras, New Orleans Jazz, your bands and beads? It is not hard to get publicity if you send in listings of where you will be and some background information on Mardi Gras, Jazz and your band. Best of all, it reaches those young, people who are a new audience. I dream of Mardi Gras Jazz Events all over the world. If you are not having one
this year in your particular country, why not start preparing for one next year? Can you say Carnival?

Cheers,
Steve (New Orleans Jazz Lives) Barbone