[Dixielandjazz] RE: Right to play tunes ASCAP, etc.

Kurt bowermastergroup at qwest.net
Fri Feb 13 08:47:38 PST 2004

We play 99% of our gigs in ASCAP/BMI licensed venues (at least they tell me
they are licensed) and I have a clause in my contract that the employer is
responsible for any an all applicable licensing fees.

I put this clause in a few years ago after the first time the issue of
licensing ever reared its ugly head.  I had previously played thousands of
gigs of all types in all types of settings and never had a problem until I
booked my band for a steady Sunday afternoon gig at a local buffet
restaurant.

It was a great gig.  People of all ages would come into the restaurant after
church, get a good meal and listen to my band.  After about eight weeks it
was really gaining in popularity, thanks in part to the owner putting ads in
the local newspaper and advertising on radio.

Wouldn't you know it, someone from ASCAP saw an ad in the paper and
contacted the owner and told him he had to pay a ridiculous (high) fee to
them every week we played.  The owner came to me and told me either I would
have to pay the fee or cancel the gigs.

We tried to work out a reasonable arrangement with ASCAP, but they wouldn't
negotiate.  Needless to say, the gig was cancelled.

The thing that really makes me mad about the entire situation is that the
people who should get the money from the licensing fees rarely see a dime.
It all goes to support the bureaucracy and pay the high priced lawyers.  If
we play a Jelly Roll Morton tune, how much of the fee actually arrives at
the Morton estate in the form of a check?  If someone can prove any
different, let me hear it.

Kurt