[Dixielandjazz] Re: Right to Play Tunes

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Thu Feb 12 19:46:56 PST 2004

I think saying that playing tunes is illegal is going a bit far.  The
various "collection houses", for lack of a better name, take it upon
themselves to get money off of your club owner, or the concert promoter,
or even sometimes the band, for playing those tunes.  If they don't do
their job (which is collecting), then you have not committed a crime by
merely playing the tune.
Artistic rights is a sticky question, and even more these days.

Sometimes we are approached by one of those guys representing the
Author's & Composer's Society, as it is called here, before a gig.  They
want you to fill out a paper with the tunes you're going to play!  What?
How do I know?  Depends on the crowd, on the band, on whatever.  So, we
take the form, saying we'll do it later......which we don't!  Meanwhile,
the clown will disappear, hoping to get another free drink at another
club!   :>

Jim