[Dixielandjazz] keeping track on measures in a song

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Wed Feb 11 11:35:12 PST 2004

Most OKOM songs are phrased in repeated 8 or 12 measure segments  and
the bass line, banjo/guitar/piano chords and drum patter should help
you keep track by giving you little lead-ins and pick-ups to the next 8
(12,)  repeats at 16 (24) and major changes at 32 (48) - they should
also subtly clue you to important upcoming "odd chords," 1st and 2nd
endings and breaks if they are good.

If you are doing an unaccompanied solo then you just have to "feel" the
changes in the tune pattern yourself - they are there!
Dave Richoux