[Dixielandjazz] RE: popular songs for OKOM

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 10 15:32:45 PST 2004

Kurt and DJML--
     Figured others might be interested too.
     I don't have very many songs, as i essentially quit listening to
popular music in the 1970's.  However, from time to time i'm in a bar
or restaurant and the circumambient recorded schlock accidentally
slips in a real song, and sometimes i think it might work for
dixieland, and sometimes i write it down (if i can find out the
title).  Steve Barbone said that his band plays a number of popular
songs in dixieland style, but these are all i have:

1) "Last Blues Song" (Helen Reddy, _I Am Woman_)
         (well, there goes any credibility i might have had)
2) "Dixie Lullaby" (Leon Russell)
3) "Live & Learn" (Clint Black)
4) "You Can't Hurry Love" (The Supremes; seems like they have others also)
5) "Words of Love" (Mamas & The Papas)

     Now that i'm retired (it's been almost 10 days now), i'm thinking
about playing through my popular LP's and cassettes from the 1950's
on to see what other possibles might be lurking there.  What was that
one with the lyrics about "flowers on the wall, watching Captain
Kangaroo"?  That might work.  Hell, even some old Herb Alpert stuff
might work.  (Wing would be a stretch, though...)

     Dan

--
**  Dan Augustine -- ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu -- Austin, Texas   **