Old waltzes [was: [Dixielandjazz] Timing and tempo

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Tue Feb 10 10:15:42 PST 2004

At 12:56 PM 2/9/2004 -0500, Craig wrote:
>Some very neat OKOM tunes STARTED as waltzes.
>To wit "When I grow too Old to Dream" etc.
>Craig

It might be said that if an old dixieland tune has fun changes quite
different from the usual patterns, it probably was originally a waltz.
Eg.:
Alice blue gown
My gal Sal

Newbies:
Any band that plays general kinds of gigs ought to have a list of these
tunes at hand, and better yet, rehearse a couple of them so everyone knows
the correct phrasing and tempo--not too slow or fast. If you have to rely
on music, have 3/4 sheets available. You never know when you might get a
request for a waltz, and at a dance you can even drop a waltz on 'em,
announcing it as a request. If you get a good response, give 'em another
later on. It'll show flexibility, might help you sell more gigs.

(Speaking of which, also have a couple of 2-beat tunes at hand. "It had to
be you" is a great one. I happen to think this is one of the best tunes
ever, plus Harry Connick popularized it, so many younger folks know it, and
like it as a "first dance" at their weddings. Play it slowish, slightly
syncopated and watch the older dancers groove the roof. My band plays it on
virtually all gigs as a changeup and promo. "I can't give you anything but
love" also works well--you probably bounce it, but practice it like "It had
to be ewe". If you want to get an idea of the tempo, go to my website
http://americanmusic.com and click on "Sound clips", click on "It had to be
you". Slightly slower works well, too)

--Sheik