[Dixielandjazz] Timing question-conclusion

Ken Gates keng at iswest.com
Mon Feb 9 12:38:18 PST 2004

Thanks for explanations of my question.  As I suspected, the
question (2/2, 2/4, cut) is a notational nuance.  The disagreements
that I witnessed were with non-reading musicians ("After You've Gone")
who know little (and don't need to know much) about notation.
The differences of opinion really, I think, had to do with phrasing.  And
maybe partially with tempo and rhythmic feel.  The first four notes can
be played with much different phrasing.  The different ways of starting
a tune can cause confusion, for sure.  Getting a tune started "right" as
to tempo etc is a notable shortcoming of amateurs.