[Dixielandjazz] Timing and tempo

Thompson rebecca.e.thompson at verizon.net
Mon Feb 9 14:09:10 PST 2004

-

Rebecca kicked off this thread with

"Does the time signature reflect the tempo? or is that an arbitrary thing?"

To which John Farrell replied :

 - with the greatest respect to Rebecca in view of the nature of her
question she clearly has little expertise in musical technicalities.

To which Rebecca replies:

I took piano lessons for about 10 years and actually remember quite a bit of
theory.  However, my husband, the drummer [what does he know? ;-) ], and I
have had numerous discussions about the time signature and I really couldn't
give an answer about Cut Time vs. 2/4.  He was more inclined to think it had
to do with tempo and from some of the answers I have read, I think there are
others on the list  who must think the same thing.

Evidently when a song has 2/4 in the midst of 4/4, there is a reason to
change something other than the beat.  Otherwise you could continue to give
the quarter note one beat and nothing would change.  There is where I need
more technical information.

Regards.
Rebecca