[Dixielandjazz] Don Gumpert's image on Pensacola JazzFest 2004 poster

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Sun Feb 8 17:50:38 PST 2004

Dear Friends and listmates:

Cornetist-bandleader Don Gumpert, a fellow DJML-er, is featured on the Jazz
Society of Pensacola's website.  His image has been incorporated on the
poster for Pensacola JazzFest 2004, upcoming April 3-4.  Please see:
www.jazzpensacola.com

Don, as many of you know, has cancer.  He's had treatment with chemotherapy,
now finished.  He is still performing and sends greetings.  He gave me
permission, in fact the suggestion, that it would be good to let fellow
list-mates know that. Don plays with his band Don Gumpert's Dixieland Saints
as the need arises and has a once monthly gig at Seville Quarter's Sunday
brunch. Don has been a resident of this area since the late 60s when he came
down from St. Louis with late clarinetist Sammy Gardner and others to form
the great band at Rosie O'Grady's, the first room in the Seville Quarter
Entertainment Complex. Don and his band have entertained area residents
since that time.  Most of you know that he is a featured artist at various
jazz festivals around the country and frequently performs in St. Louis.

When you get to the website, click JazzFest and the poster will come up.
Please see the bios and photos on our headliners as well. There is a large
photo archive which is easy to manage and photos come up quickly.  ( Don't
click the HRP-- high resolution photos-- as they are for the press, are
large files and take too long to load.  We warn you about this on the site
as well).  We work hard at trying to keep the website current and
interesting.  We'd appreciate your feedback and honest criticism. We're not
so thin-skinned that we can't tolerate your candid judgment.

I'm sure that many of you will want to greet Don and wish him well--by way
of this DJML list.

Norman Vickers