[Dixielandjazz] "Mosaic" Condon

gerald nichols geraldnichols at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 2 06:52:51 PST 2004

The talk about this set has brought me out of "lurkdom".  I have an LP (vinyl) on CBS ("For Promotion Only-CJ 45145) of the 1957 session. I has previously issued as well as several previously unissued cuts.

What a remarkable session.  I play it over and over and many of my collection sit there without being played ever again.  That music "had" something!

What surprises me is that I never "caught " the "sqeaks" etc. from Bob Wilber.  Guess I was enjoying the music too much to notice.My  version has :

Wolverine Blues
China Boy (prev. unissue)
China Boy
St James Inf.
That' A Plenty
The Song is Ended
Hindustan

The other side has another Condon session one month later with Butterfield and Cutshall replacing Dickenson and Davison. IMO the latter is a less  memorable session.  The August session is a Hard act to follow. It is a particularly hard-swinging session with all players at the top of their game.