[Dixielandjazz] RE: DJML In the beginning

Brian Towers towers at allstream.net
Wed Feb 4 17:43:17 PST 2004

Hi Creight,

Yes, thanks for the reminder.  We have not had the two beat/four debate for
a while - tuba vs string bass, which swings more etc.   I remember there
were casualties and hot words.......time to resurrect that one?

Regards,
Brian

P.S. I  prefer string bass for versatility but it is marginal.

_________________________________
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] RE: DJML In the beginning

> Hi all,
>
> I looked up some copied discussions from July of 95, and so I'm assuming
> shortly before that is when I did sign on the list.  Someone mentioned
Bill Dendle
> perhaps being the first to leave, and that rings a bell.  Chris Tyle got
> leaped on, as I recall, for saying something like any tuba player doing
4-beat
> should lose his/her tuba.  Several of the discussions I printed out were
by Chris
> Tyle in July '95.  He and Brian Towers seemed to be large contributors on
the
> history and such of jazz.  Some names I see from July 95 are:  Dr. Michael
> Rader, Colin J. Bray, Ed Metz Sr., Don Mopsick, Dave Littlefield, E.K.
Newman,