[Dixielandjazz] DJML Early Days

Brian Towers towers at allstream.net
Tue Feb 3 21:39:36 PST 2004

I believe I joined the DJML sometime during its first year of operation and had the pleasure of meeting Peter Lovric, the founder, when he came over from Vancouver and visited Toronto for our Classic Jazz Festival in September 1996.  A true gentleman with great charm and love of our kind of jazz.
We had some early and friendly debates, in the early days, about using the term "dixieland" for the List.  We discussed the different meanings the term had for different folk around the world.  We backed off, of course, in deference to the fact that Peter started the list, after all!!  Soon after some-one came up with the term "OKOM" which made our debates much easier!

"Plus ca change, c'est plus le meme chose!"   (hope I got that right)

R.I.P. Peter.  Your list is in good hands!

Brian Towers