[Dixielandjazz] DJML - In the beginning...

Edgerton, Paul A paul.edgerton at eds.com
Tue Feb 3 14:47:18 PST 2004

> Who was the first person to get offended and unsubscribe?

That could have been me!

I was also a very early subscriber, but my computer was a Tandy Model 100
laptop connecting Compu$erve, which was pay by the minute in those days. And
I needed many expensive minutes because the Model 100 had only a 300 baud
modem and only 32 KILOBYTES OF RAM, only some of which could store messages.

Back then, my chief complaint was the poor signal-to-noise ratio of DJML
posts (hmmm...) and the fact that I had to pay for every minute of it. On a
musician's lousy salary. I was gone for about two or three years, coming
back only after the advent of flat-rate internet and the (then) amazing
14400 bps modem.

Paul Edgerton
Who thinks that those who aren't informed by history are bound to repeat it.