[Dixielandjazz] RE: Surname changes

Ed Danielson mcvouty78 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 3 13:12:57 PST 2004

John Farrell wrote:

>I have this aptly named CD (which I can recommend without reservation to
>jazz piano buffs) however the drummer is listed as Hugh Cregg - does that
>mean that Huey dumped his original surname?

Right; the liner notes have the full story.  Hugh Cregg was a friend of
Ralph's, a jazz loving medical doctor who, at one time, played in the big
bands. As a matter of interest, Hugh Cregg is the father of Hugh Anthony
Cregg who sports the stage name of Huey Lewis. Everyone knows Huey Lewis and
the News.

>It brings to mind another instance - Andy Fielding (another truly great
>pianist) is Zeke Zarchy's son. How did the name Zarchy evolve into
>Fielding?

I don't know the answer to that one.

Ed Danielson