[Dixielandjazz] Hamming Up Our National Anthem

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 3 09:07:47 PST 2004

You guys have come a long way since the radio stations banned dear old
Wingy's record of "Oh Say, Can You Swing" from airplay (late 30's). We, on
the other hand, always seem to get VERY straight renditions of our national
anthem, but compared to some of the overblown, exhibitionistic performances
of your stirring tune that have been inflicted on my ears at U.S. sporting
events, maybe dull is not so bad after all!!! Personal interpretation is
fine, but using the anthem to show just how wild you can get........

Mike.